Here the grain was stored under Government supervision. Philip's, Sydney, the body being removed in 1856 to Sandhills (Devonshire Street Cemetery), and in 1901 again removed to La Perouse, Botany. Ship Porpoise, Chief Magistrate throughout the Territory, and Aid de Camp to His Excellency Governor Bligh. Aged 27 years." Governor Bligh appointed Andrew Thompson as his bailiff or agent, and left the entire management of his farm in his hands. A small Wesleyan school was also taught by Edward Eagar (an emancipist lawyer), who also conducted divine service, and the same year, 1812, efforts were started to raise funds to build a chapel. Leigh arrived in the colony in the Hebe on 15th August, 1815. Samuel Marsden, Church of England Senior Chaplain, and they travelled to and from New Zealand together. Marsden had a large farm, portion of which extended right into the town of Windsor, and, knowing the desire for the erection of a chapel in Windsor, he presented Mr. Carvosso in 1820, and a house was bought for him, at a cost of two hundred and seventy pounds, known as the Mission House. He was in Sydney and Parramatta about the years 1822-5, and went to Hobart Town in May, 1825. A son, William, who was born in the Mission House, Windsor, died in England, in 1842.
The largest of these granaries stood on the present site of the School of Arts, and was used later as a military hospital. The inscription on the old tombstone reads:— "Sacred. In October, 1807, the Governor's stock consisted of forty-nine cows, and a number of sheep and pigs. During the big floods in 18, he took a very active part in rescuing people and property in danger. An appeal was made in 1816 to the Missionary Society in London for assistance to have this building erected. Leigh with the site on which the church now stands. Walter Lawry, of Parramatta, who arrived in New South Wales the same year, assisting. His father wrote a small biography of him, entitled, Attractive Piety, published in 1847.
For the first twenty-five or thirty years of the settlement of New South Wales, the Hawkesbury was looked upon as the granary of the colony. In his house were held several meetings of, local residents, one on 20th January, 1807, to petition the Governor aginst the importation of wheat. Governor Bligh, who took to farming in 1807, bought several holdings on the river, near Pitt Town, near where the present punt is located. A portion of this (six perches) was resumed for public road purposes on 25th January, 1899.
Directions are already given to the several constables within those districts immediately to ascertain and make a return of the names of all those settlers whose farms are subject to be flooded, together with the number of their farms and number of their flocks and herds. About this period lived Margaret Catchpole, a somewhat mysterious character, who was buried in St. For her history we would refer our readers to numerous articles in the local papers, especially during the years 1889, 1893, 18. Horse racing was carried on in the year 1832, the racecourse being located at Killarney, of which John Howe was secretary. This proceeding was greatly resented by the more aristocratic members of the community. One-half of his estate was bequeathed to Governor Macquarie and Simeon Lord in equal parts, the remainder being left to his relatives in Britain.
Errors there may be, but every effort has been made to verify the data. "His work will supply a felt want, in the literature of Windsor, and it should prove very acceptable to all lovers of the Hawkesbury districts. Stogdell, Palmer, Hobbs, Diggers, Jones, Benn, Smallwood, Dr. The present township of Pitt Town stands on portions of these grants, which had to be resumed for township purposes in 1810. A Government store was established in 1798, and placed in charge of William Baker, whose name is perpetuated in Baker Street, Windsor and Baker's Lagoon, near Richmond. In the year 1804 Governor King appointed trustees for the several Commons of the Colony. Everingham (a Matthew James Everingham died on 25th December, 1817, aged forty-eight years, and was buried in St.
The authorities consulted will be found at the end of the book, but I cannot close my studies of Old Windsor without again thanking the many correspondents who have assisted me, and especially Mr. "As years roll on it will certainly become an invaluable work of reference on all matters connected with the district." JOHN TEBBUTT, F. In 1796 Governor Hunter visited the district, and instructions were given to construct a road from Parramatta to the Hawkesbury, and soon after this road was placed under a Trust, Dr. This early store was situated somewhere near the present Thompson Square. Regular masters of all the settlers, both free and bond, were held from time to time, and separate records kept of men, women, and children belonging to each class—military, officers, civil officers, freemen, prisoners and settlers. Andrew Thompson being so appointed for both the Ham and Nelson Commons.
The hospital has been remodelled, but the old main walls remain. A painting of Governor Macquarie was arranged for by the inhabitants of Windsor during his last visit to the town, and this was executed on his return to England, at a cost of £73 10s., and has hung in the Court House for the past ninety years. Barracks for one hundred convicts, with high brick wall. The high brick wall was lowered many years ago, and the barracks are those still seen in Bridge-Street. The original gaol was, we believe, built before Macquarie's time, but he had it enlarged about the year 1820. The land was sold by Laban White, on 5th July, 1838. "During the unfortunate disturbances (the arrest of Governor Bligh) which lately distracted this colony, he, whose death we now lament, held on the 'even tenor of his way,' and acquitted himself with mildness, moderation, and wisdom, and when the ruthless hand of death arrested his earthly career, he yielded with becoming fortitude, and left this world for a better, with humble and devout resignation, and an exemplary confidence in the mercies of his God." The following account of the funeral appeared in the Sydney Gazette, 3rd November, 1810:—In the mention of the death of A. John Macarthur, referring to his death, says: "It was an interposition of Providence to save the colony from utter ruin; never was there a more artful or a greater knave." In Bigge's report on the colony of New South Wales, made in 1822, he describes him as using his wealth so as to gain an influence with the small settlers on the Hawkesbury, and also as a man of loose moral character.
Governor Macquarie's reply, granting the citizens' request, is dated from Government House, Windsor, 4th January, 1822. The Cope family lived in the old cottage next the Presbyterian Church; the name appears in the Post Office Directory at 1835. Thompson, Esq., in the Gazette of last week, we should have added an account of the funeral, which took place on Friday Se'nnight (which means seven night), had we in time received it. Cartwright walked foremost, and was followed by Surgeons Mileham and Redfern, who had attended the deceased through the long and painful illness that brought to a conclusion an existence that had been well applied, Next followed the bier, attended by Captain Antill, A. But every fair-minded historian will see that a man who won the esteem of three successive Governors, as well as of all the leading residents of the district in which he lived, including the clergymen, and at whose funeral the whole district followed "their friend and patron" must agree that to call Andrew Thompson a bad citizen is a distortion of plain facts. Richard Fitzgerald arrived in the colony in the ship William and Ann, on the 28th August, 1791, when about nineteen years old. A fresh impetus was given to the church by the settlement of the Rev.